Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kanata Alumni Are Everywhere!!

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Bath, NC to attend a friends wedding. The day before the wedding the groom had a "boating with the boys" event and several men who were part of the wedding went for an afternoon of boating on the Pamlico River. There were a few boats out there in our group and after we dropped anchor one of the men noticed my Kanata t-shirt that I was wearing. He asked what my connection was and then went on to explain how his children went to camp many years ago and they had the best time. It was great to get a chance to talk with this man who has grown children, yet he still recognized the good work that takes place at Kanata every summer. It was a huge part of his childrens lives and he thanked me for the work that we do. At the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding a couple of people came up to me and asked if I was "Mr. Kanata". I said yes and they went on to explain how they had been campers at Kanata over 20 years ago. I asked them about their counselors, their cabin numbers and their favorite activities. It was great to hear that after 20+ years these ladies still had fond memories of Camp Kanata and the impact it had on their lives.

As my wife and I were driving home we started talking about the Kanata alumni we had met that weekend. Out of the 120 people who were at the wedding I talked to at least 10 people who had gone to camp as campers or were parents of campers. I always look for opportunities to wear my Kanata clothing because you never know who you will run into that has their own Kanata story. I am thankful I get to work at a place that has such a positive impact on people and I love to hear people tell their Kanata story. Next time you are here please take the time to share your story with us. What was your first cabin? Your favorite activity? Your favorite counselor? What did you learn at camp that you still use today? Tell us in person or send it to us in an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Your Camp Director,

Dave

No comments: