Friday, July 17, 2009

Change is a good thing...

I began my career at Camp Kanata in 2003 as the Lake Chief and since that first summer I have held the position of associate director, resident camp director and executive director of Camp Kanata. Over the past 7 years I have made some incredible friendships and watched Kanata go through some exciting growing pains as we made staffing changes, facility changes and programmatic changes.

In May of this year I began having conversations with the YMCA of Greater Charlotte for the position of Director of Association Programs. This position has oversight and direction for resident camp, day camp and Y-Guide and Princess programs of the Charlotte YMCA. With a little sadness and much excitement I accepted this position and will begin my new role in Charlotte beginning September 1, 2009.

Okay, enough about me, what I am really excited about is introducing you to the new director of Camp Kanata, Forrest Perry! Forrest began his connection with Camp Kanata as an 11 year old in cabin 10 twenty years ago. He went on to spend 12 summers at Kanata as a camper, staff trainee, staff member and ad-staff member. After leaving Kanata he worked for YMCA's in St. Paul, IN; Chapel Hill, NC and Raleigh, NC. He presently holds the position of Director of Collegiate Programs for the YMCA of the Triangle.

Forrest will spend the rest of the summer getting to know our staff, campers, parents and programs and will begin full time work as the director on Sept. 1, 2009. I could not be more excited about the next leader of Kanata. I love this place and will forever remember my time here, but I know that Forrest and the team at Kanata will make this place better than I ever could.

Please join me in welcoming Forrest (back) to the the Kanata family and we look forward to seeing you this summer.

Your Camp Director,

Dave Bell

No comments: