Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Professional Development

Every year about this time for the past 8 years (I'm getting old) I have headed to Black Mountain, NC to YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly for the YMCA Campfire Conference. This conference brings YMCA camping professionals from all over the country together for a week of training and energizing as we prepare for the coming summer. I must admit that this conference is one of the highlights of my year for a few reasons:

  1. Some of my best friends are here. I have met some great fellow camp directors over the years and this conference is a time for us to get together and talk about our camps.
  2. It gets me excited about the coming summer. I know that when I come back from this conference it is officially time to start planning for the summer.
  3. I always learn something. It never fails I always come home with something that I know I am going to implement in the coming summer.
I often say that I have the best job in the entire world, and the opportunity to attend trainings like this are part of what make it special. Our goal every year is to make Kanata a little better than it was the year before and things I learned this week will help make that possible. See you this summer!

Your Camp Director,

Dave

No comments: