Friday, February 13, 2009

Camp Kanata - It's the People!

Camp Kanata - What a place. What a job!

Hey everyone, I'm Zach Friesen the Operations Director at Camp Kanata. My role on the team is to manage the maintenance crew, the facilities and the kitchen. It is a great job and I could go on and on about what we're doing in the Operations Department. We have a lot of fun and I love coming to work everyday.

I'd like to let you in on a little secret about Camp Kanata -- it's not about our beautiful facility, it's not about our rockin' programs, it's not about our 55 year history -- it's about our people. If you've spent any amount of time here, you know that's it's all about the people; always has been. Our year around staff is comprised of fun-loving, mission-oriented people. It really is something to see. It is not uncommon for one of our part-time maintenance crew members to come to me with a great programming idea for our campers. This is a place where everyone is truly working together towards a common goal - to build the Spirit, mind and body of each of one of our campers.

As a father of two, I tend to look at camp through my "dad eyes". My perspective as a father combined with my 10+ years experience running YMCA youth programs gives me a pretty critical eye. At last years’ staff banquet I was able to tell each of the staff that I would be proud if my children grew up to be like them - that says it all. Camp Kanata is about the people.

Zach Friesen

**If you are part of a group that would like to come volunteer your time at Camp, please let me know. We have projects of all difficulty levels, for all different sizes of groups.

No comments: