Friday, June 12, 2009

The Tradition Continues

Greetings once again from the best place on earth!

Our week of staff training is coming to a close and it will be nice to relax a bit and rest up before the staff come back and the kids arrive on Sunday. This week I've had the pleasure of watching the staff get to know one another and connect to form the Spartan, Daisy, Ranger, Butterfly, Knight and Angel units. I've gotten to meet and get to know counselors from Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and Ethiopia. I've been able to reconnect with old friends and create new friendships as the weeks gone on.

Staff week would have been much less without the wonderful contributions of Jim Cain. His opening games and exercises and the challenges he gave our staff will make a lasting impression on this summer and many summers to come. If you get to play "WAH!" this summer you have Jim to thank.

As I was getting ready to leave today, I happened to check my Facebook messages and this is what I found:

Ryan-

Every time I read your status and see it's about camp/staff week I get a knot in my stomach. Those are the most precious days and I hope you bask and soak in them for every second they last. I just told Abby Hoover [one of our staff this summer] that every year when the girls get together for a Daisy Reunion we all agree camp days are the most golden of our memories. Through graduations, boyfriends, marriages and children and all of the things that make life grand, camp is definitely at the top. So when it's hot and the kids are whiny and you're too tired because you chose to chat with friends instead of go to sleep, just remember: These days are golden and nothing will ever replace them in your heart. Even the sticky, pouty days are better than most when you're in the real world.

I hope you have the most delightful summer ever. I hope staff week and all of the following weeks flow smooth like a river. And remember, there are decades of people who love you and wish they could be out there with you. Good Luck and do your best everyday!!

Much, much lov
e,
Rikki

It was an honor to respond to Rikki, who I remember as a counselor and head female counselor from my days as a camper. When I'm in the moment and running around trying to make sure that trainings and work detail are going well, it's easy to forget the legacy and tradition I get to carry on as a member of the Kanata staff team. As I told Rikki in my response, I am truly honored to continue the tradition this summer.

As I begin my 15th summer here at Kanata I wish you the best. May you have time to relax, reconnect with old friends and make some new ones. May you have time to slow down and enjoy the heat by the lake or the pool. May you be refreshed and renewed over the weeks to come. I hope that you get a chance to visit this summer. There's always space in the dining hall!

See you real soon!

Much, much love,

Ryan

No comments: