Friday, June 5, 2009

Family Camp rocks at Camp Kanata

So this past weekend I had the great privilege to spend the weekend at Camp Kanata. I had just come off of a week long tent camping trip with my wife on the Outerbanks of North Carolina, but I was excited about meeting some great families.

We assigned a "Kanata Host" to every family so they would have someone to eat dinner with, ask questions and just have a friendly face around if they ever needed some ideas on what to do next. On the first night at dinner I happened to sit down with the McGee family. I got to meet John (dad), Taylor (8 year old Kanata camper) and Cole (5 year old first timer). It was great to talk with them about what they wanted to do over the course of the weekend and I realized quickly they would not be getting much sleep the first night.

Over the course of the weekend I got to observe families trying out the "Giant Swing" for the first time, parents getting in a canoe with their child, kids hitting a bullseye at archery, a large group taking a hike around the lake and even time for making animal tracks on the dining hall porch.

At the closing lunch I was sitting across from Cole McGee (age 5) and as we were sitting there he looked up at his dad and said, "Dad, I don't ever want to leave Camp Kanata!" I couldn't ask for a better endorsement of a camp experience. We are having family camp again next year and you and your family need to be here with us. What a great way to spend a weekend!

See you this summer.

Your Camp Director,

Dave

No comments: