Thursday, March 19, 2009

As the weather gets warmer...

...we get more and more excited for the summer!

Over the past few months I've been out on the road recruiting new people and talking to old staff who will return for another great summer in just a few months. We've received a lot of applications this year which is making the interview and selection process all the more difficult, especially for the female side of camp! In the end some really great applicants won't make it on to our staff this year. Hard to handle but in the end it will be what's best for camp.

But if you look at the male side of things, it's another story entirely. It's a common problem with all camps that I talk with: Where are the guys? For every male applicant we receive 10 female applicants. It's hard for me to understand since I've been at camp for so long and the thought of leaving never stayed in my head for long. I've been fortunate enough to make a living out of camp but we lose great male staff every year to sports, internships and the "real world" (which I don't think really exists at this point). That means when I receive a male application it's time for a jig. Thankfully we receive enough male applicants that we can still hold them to a high standard. Not everyone makes it onto the Kanata staff team!

We're always looking for new perspectives here at camp. If you think you have some insight into how we can recruit and retain our male staff more effectively please let me know. Drop me a line at ryan.eves@campkanata.org.

That's all from me for this month. See you real soon!

Ryan Eves
Assistant Camp Director

No comments: