Thursday, April 30, 2009

I am always fascinated by the number of people that I come in contact with that have gone to Kanata as a child, or that have parents that attended Kanata. I love the fact that one little place can unite so many people. I got to thinking about camp and I began to wonder how many recognizable people could be traced back to having their beginnings at a summer camp or even at Camp Kanata. I stumbled across some of these quotes, taken from various people speaking about their own personal experiences at camps or their reason for believing in the camping experience. I am glad that I have the opportunity to share these with all of you!

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
"I think in many ways the camping experience gives children the chance to be children, to enjoy a time that really uses their minds and their bodies, develops their spirits, exposes them in a safe environment to other people, lets them learn about themselves. And that is important because I think it really relates directly to the kind of citizens and leaders we will have in the future."
________________________________________

Joan Lunden
Television anchor and author
"In my seven years at camp, I have watched children grow and develop self-confidence and leadership skills and a willingness to explore and challenge themselves. Camp creates a nurturing environment that allows children to gain important “life experiences.” They keep coming back because of the friendships they make, the staff becomes a surrogate family to them, and because it’s a safe environment that fosters healthy values."
________________________________________

Tucker Carlson
Journalist and author
"Our culture doesn’t value as much as it should giving children the space to play. A child’s imagination and creativity is really enhanced at camp. Another important message from camp is that you really grow by giving. That’s one of the most valuable things about camp—respect for others."
________________________________________

Colin Powell
Former Secretary of State General, Founding Chair of America's Promise – The Alliance for Youth
"I want to congratulate all of the professionals of the American Camping Association for your commitment to what I am trying to do with my organization America's Promise – The Alliance for Youth . . . . I admire what you do. . . one of the best alliances, one of the most successful alliances we've created so far is the alliance between America's Promise and the American Camping Association. Camping is a great opportunity for young people. It teaches them a little about themselves. It teaches them how to get along with other people – both other young people as well as adults. It teaches them self-reliance. It gets them away from a neighborhood or situation that may exist in their neighborhoods that isn't healthy. It preserves their integrity. It allows them to avoid the pathologies of drugs and crime and violence and terrible things they might see in their communities.'
_________________________________________

Francis Ford Coppola
Film Director
"If I have to be remembered for something, I want it remembered that I really liked children and was a good camp counselor."


I can't wait to see you this summer!

Jen Baldinelli
Program Director
jennifer.baldinelli@campkanata.org

No comments: