Monday, April 13, 2009

So I went for a couple of bike rides this weekend

I have a couple of hobbies; my wife would tell you that I have too many, but I like keeping busy. One of my hobbies is riding my bike. I started riding a bike as a child and I still remember the bike I learned on and how my dad would run behind me holding on the seat until I sped off under my own balance and power. That was about 34 years ago and the skill I learned back then I still use today.

This past weekend I went on a couple of rides. On Saturday I rode a 30 mile loop around Falls Lake in northern Wake County by myself. It was a great ride, with great weather, and I burned a lot of energy. On Sunday I went for another ride, but this time with some friends. We rode 50 miles through Chatham County and Wake County. We spent the day pushing each other, racing each other, stopping at off the beaten path gas stations to purchase moon pies (great energy food) and talking about an upcoming biking trip we are taking.

As I look back on my rides this weekend a few things jump out at me. First, my ride on Sunday was more enjoyable because I was with friends. I can definitely jump on my bike any time I want, but the journey is more fun when taken with others. Second, the skill I learned as a child, riding my bike, I still use to this very day and will probably use for the next 20 or 30 years.

These lessons from my rides draw some comparisons to camp. Kanata is a great place, but it is much better with friends. If you came to camp now it would seem empty, but this summer when there are 400 other campers and 100 staff members out here, who are friends, it is the greatest place in the world. Also, the skills you learn at camp will be things you use for the rest of your life. Whether it is how to paddle a canoe, learning to swim, how to make your bed or how to identify poison ivy (very important) these skills will have a lifetime of impact.

So I think what I am trying to say is, life is better enjoyed with friends and the things you learn as a child will be part of you for the rest of your life. We look forward to providing a place to make friends and learn new skills and we hope you take advantage of this opportunity.

See you this summer!

Your Camp Director,

Dave

No comments: