Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Positive Impact of Camp Kanata

I received a phone call the other day from a parent of camper. She shared a great story of the positive impact that Kanata has had on her daughters life. I asked her to write this story down so I could share with others. Below you will find her words.

Dear Dave,
I wanted to share a recent conversation I had with my 17-year-old daughter Alex this past weekend.  Alex has been a camper with you since the 5th grade and last year participated in your CILT program.  I have always known how much she loved and cherished her time at Kanata but never fully understood the impact it has had on her life until a few days ago.
We were actually away on a college visit and while at dinner the conversation turned reflective.  I was trying to figure out where her head was at as far as living away from home all the while attempting to et some reassurance that I had done a good job as her Mom in preparing her for what lies ahead.  That's when it happened.  She looked at me straight in the eye and said "Mom, do you know what was the best thing you ever did for me?  I mean the greatest gift you ever gave me?"  I thought about it for a moment, scanning my memory banks for scooters and cameras, earrings and purses and then very honestly said, "no".  She went on to say, "sending me to Camp Kanata."  I was dumbfounded.  I looked at her quietly and said "Kanata?"  She said, "yes Mom, Camp Kanata was where I found my voice and each year that I return it teaches me about the kind of person I want to be."  I sat there for a moment picturing the child I had sent off to Kanata all those years ago and then slowly drifting back to the here and now;  looking at the young woman before me just a year away from leaving for college.  I had no way of knowing when I filled out the application and dropped her off the first time that the investment I made back then would pay such huge dividends today.
I just want to say thanks Camp Kanata.  You share this great accomplishment in raising a great kid with us and I now fully understand what a vital and integral part the glorious days of summer camp have played.  I don't know any of the staff personally but collectively I see what you accomplish each season through the eyes of my daughter.  I will never be able to express my gratitude enough and pray that you will be allowed to continue this work of molding and nurturing young lives for many years to come.  
With sincere thanks,
Teresa Franzen


I am lucky to be able to do the work I do and see the positive impact of camp everyday. Thank you for allowing Kanata to be part of your life and we look forward to delivering this positive legacy for many years to come.

Your Camp Director,

Dave

No comments: